Obtaining a Green Card through Marriage

In an attempt to promote family unity, the immigration laws in the U.S. allow citizens of the country to petition for specific qualified relatives to live permanently in the United States. Because of this, in some instances, obtaining a green card via marriage to a U.S. citizen can be the most expedient manner of achieving residency. Unfortunately, approval is neither automatic nor guaranteed. In fact, such petitions will come under heavy scrutiny in order to ensure the marriage is, in fact, legitimate, and that obtaining immigration benefits was not the sole purpose of the marriage. Therefore, although marriage may seem like a way to fast track lawful, permanent residency there can be stumbling blocks along the way. Marriage to a U.S. citizen renders the spouse an immediate relative, meaning there are no quota restrictions on how many people can obtain their green card through marriage to a citizen of the United States.


Should the foreign-born spouse have entered the U.S. with no inspection, it may be necessary for him or her to apply for a green card outside the U.S., or, depending on the circumstances, apply for a provisional waiver in the U.S.


Obtaining a green card through marriage can be a complex process which can go much more smoothly when an attorney from the law firm of Sullo & Sullo is standing behind you every step of the way. We are familiar with the process and the necessary paperwork and understand the importance of a successful application. Call us today for a consultation regarding your desire to obtain a green card for a foreign-born spouse.


Recent Articles & Publications

May 14, 2014
Those who may be in the country illegally should speak to a Houston immigration attorney to explore their options for remaining in the country, whether for work or family reasons. A comprehensive bill which addressed border security and offered a path to citizenship for the estimated eleven million immigrants currently living in the U.S. illegally was passed by the Senate last year....

May 7, 2014
While illegal immigrants from Mexico can simply be returned by the Border Patrol, migrants from countries which don’t border the U.S. must be formally deported and flown home—federal...

September 13, 2013
Should Congress agree on a comprehensive immigration reform bill, the requirement to build a 2,000 mile steel-column fence on the Southwest border of the United States could...